Sunday, July 13, 2014

Beaches and Bunkers

I've watched a lot of war movies, so it was pretty cool to walk over a grassy dune on the French coast and come face to face with a German bunker. We did that on Saturday after stopping at Etaples. It was a nice day but a bit on the cool side for me. The boys got into their sandals and did some wading but too cold to swim.

 


On the way back, we avoided the non-English speaking toll bridge but could not avoid the giant mall we saw on the way down. "City of Europe" or something like that. My navigator told me to exit the highway and suddenly we were in the queue for the tunnel to England. Oops. Saved by a u-turn and a well-placed roundabout. But not saved from the mall. A bit of shopping later we were on our way home. Overnight, it was one of the craziest thunderstorms I've ever seen, with lightning so close it was almost blinding. Kids slept through the whole thing.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment